Every purnama / sukla paksa or full moon, Hindu Balinese prays at the village temples and at their sanggah/mrajan (private temple) in the house compound. They bring simple offering such as flowers, incense and some fruits. On this day offering is dedicated to Sang Hyang Candra, the gods of moon. Today is an auspicious day to do yoga and time to self introspection and prostrating before Ida Sang Hyang Widhi Wasa (The Ultimate Hindu/Bali God). It also the best time to do tirta yatra (spiritual trip to visit some holy temples/places).
There are 12 full moons in 1 year and some temples have odalan ceremony at full moon:
- Pura Merajan Penataran Agung at Sidemen Karangasem, odalan on Purnama Jiyestha
- Pura Penambangan Badung in Denpasar, odalan on Purnama Kedasa
- Pura Bukit Mentik, Gunung Lebah Batur Kintamani, odalan on Purnama Ketiga
- Pura Tirta Empul in Tampak Siring, odalan on Purnama Kapat
- Ida Ratu Pasek at Besakih, odalan on Purnama Kawulu